RE: Database Licensing for Public Web Access

Steve Olsen wrote:

> Hello fellow lurkers,
>
> I'd be interested in any comments anyone has regarding
> database licensing as it relates to the Web and a
> Public Internet Site.
>
> The Quotes I've seen lately for the database license (ranging
> from $5,000 to $64,000) are, IMO, crazy.  But, then again,
> how do companies like Oracle and Sybase license a database
> that is, basically, public access?
>
> Some sites are publishing or collecting relatively small
> amounts of data and will not spend $64,000 for the entire
> web site (and certainly not that much for the database
> alone).  Others are publishing and/or collecting large
> data sets and have large budgets for this activity.
>
> I'm looking for some constructive debate on this topic to
> help the database vendors evaluate the issue because I'm
> in the business of helping organizations build "interactive
> database websites" and the database licensing issue (especailly
> the high initial cost) is keeping many organizations from
> jumping into the game.
>
> What do YOU think?
>
> ---A-I-T---------------------------------
>    Applied Information Technologies, Inc.
>
>    Steve A. Olson
>    Vice President
>
>    410-796-5862 (Voice)
>    410-917-4171 (Celluar)
>    410-379-2202 (FAX)
>    Steve.Olson@cst.com (Internet)

This has come up elsewhere, specifically on a database list.  Jim Steiner,
Director of Product Marketing for Oracle's Rdb Group wrote this:

> For web access we have different business practices...
>
> Contact sales.
>
> Thaanks

His e-mail address is jasteine@us.oracle.com.

Something to keep in mind about Oracle: dealing with them is like the old
days of buying a car.  Each sale is custom-configured and negociated.  So
keep your hand on your wallet and be ready to deal.

-Tim Mueller

Tim Mueller					mueller@silutions.com
Silutions, Inc					voice:  610-692-9519
322 N Matlack St				fax:    610-696-8286
West Chester, PA  19380

"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen."

					-- Tommy Smothers