Database Licensing for Public Web Access

Hello fellow lurkers,

I'd be interested in any comments anyone has regarding
database licensing as it relates to the Web and a
Public Internet Site.

The Quotes I've seen lately for the database license (ranging
from $5,000 to $64,000) are, IMO, crazy.  But, then again,
how do companies like Oracle and Sybase license a database
that is, basically, public access?

Some sites are publishing or collecting relatively small
amounts of data and will not spend $64,000 for the entire
web site (and certainly not that much for the database
alone).  Others are publishing and/or collecting large
data sets and have large budgets for this activity.

I'm looking for some constructive debate on this topic to
help the database vendors evaluate the issue because I'm
in the business of helping organizations build "interactive
database websites" and the database licensing issue (especailly
the high initial cost) is keeping many organizations from
jumping into the game.

What do YOU think?

   Applied Information Technologies, Inc.

   Steve A. Olson