RE: Access and the Web...partial answer rest of info

----------

G'day,
This time I'll include the all important info

At 08:27 PM 8/24/95 -0700, David Geller wrote:
>Been there. Done that. Now I'm looking some folks who might like to try it
out. If you saw a similar "call for beta testers" a few months back
regarding my web server I apologize for the delay. It's not that it wasn't
ready -- I just wasn't available to pursue a real beta test program. Beside
consulting, I was writing and traveling. It's getting quieter now.

>Which leads me to a new thingy I created. It's my Web Server in an OLE
control for Windows 95. That's right - one little 32-bit OLE doo-hickey (the
technical term) and you've got a web server.

>How would you use it? Right now you would drop it into a development
environment that can deal with OLE controls. The upcoming Visual Basic 4.0
will do that. I think the new FoxPro will as well. Ditto for the next Visual
C++. I have no details on these products, per say, but rest assured that the
world is moving to OLE controls. You can create your own front-end. If you
don't want to do anything I have a test container that will use it.

>So - would one of these things be useful for you? I'm thinking that you
could take my OLE control and run your web server completely through a
database. Why mess with CGI when you can talk db-to-web?

>Features:
>  * for Windows 95
>  * OLE control (OCX)
>  * 32-bit
>  * multithreaded
>  * can handle a boat load of simultaneous connections
>    (I've had as many as 44 web connections -- at once!)
>
>My core engine did CGI and CGI-WIN. I think these will go into the OCX as
well. Anyhow - the control is available for testing. Drop me a line if you
can use an OCX now. I don't have any specific commercial plans for this
"object" right now but can certainly entertain any options presented. Same
for source code.

>Unless I learn otherwise I'm going to assume this is the first
OLE-control-based HTTP server.

>David Geller
>http://www.halcyon.com/geller/
>davidg@arta.com

while this may not be exactly what you want, this OCX Web Server from David Geller
works in Access 95, Visual Basic 4.0, Visual FoxPro 3.0, and Delphi 32-bit beta's
that I've got
Certainly opens up lot's of possibilities and evenually will work with next version of NT
(I've tried it with latest "NewShell/NT 3.51/SP1 combo and not a rewarding exercise

TTFN

Les Chapman mostly a gopher at odtaa and asker of at least half-remarkable questions
e-mail: elsie@gladys.lynx.co.nz  Phone: +64-3-343-3314   Fax: +64-3-348-8871
"aibohphobia = fear of palindromes?"
"Be Alert - for we need more of them"