Re: Choosing a Database

http://www.oracle.com/   has pointers to Oracles "World Wide Web"
interface kit.  This is essentially a collection of free software that
allows you to easily interface an Oracle database with the Web.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Standard disclaimers apply. I am speaking on my own behalf and
     NOT as a representative of Oracle.
Low delay will get you through times of low bandwidth better   415-506-4639
than high bandwidth will get you through times of high delay.

|Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 02:36:26 +0500
|Sender: www-rdb@www10.w3.org
|From: dreano@capstone.nalda.navy.mil
|To: Multiple recipients of list <www-rdb@www10.w3.org>
|Subject: Re: Choosing a Database
|
|Unless you want to go non-proprietary...I would suggest Oracle, Informix
|or Sybase...there are PERL (Program Extraction and Reporting Language)
|interfaces to all of these databases that are SQL based and therefore
|semi-portable.  We use PERL to extract data from Oracle and present
|it as 'virtual' HTML documents within Mosaic for a large Navy application
|with no problems...
|Frank Dreano (Logisitics Management Decision Support System)
|
|On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, David Dumaresq wrote:
|
|> Could you advise on selecting a database for a Web application?
|>
|> I am developing a Web application that will store user requests
|> containing multiple text strings. I estimate the number of requests to
|> reach the 100 thousands and each record would be approximately 2k in size.
|> The text fields average 512k each.
|>
|> The database should have good text search functions as well as an
|> efficient way of locating records based on their text content.
|>
|> I don't know what other things to consider in this type of application,
|> please make any suggestions you feel are important.
|>

|> Thanks for your help,
|> David Dumaresq                                	| email: david@kwantlen.bc.ca
|> Programmer/Analyst, Info. Systems & Computing   | phone: (604) 599-2120
|> Kwantlen University College, BC, Canada    	| fax:   (604) 599-2068
|>
|>            "The world is one country and mankind its citizens."

HangingHanging