From: Martin Probst [mailto:mail@martin-probst.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:09 AM
To: Jonathan Robie
Cc: Wu, Emma; Carmelo Montanez; www-ql@w3.org
Subject: Re: XQuery Update to return values

> In the current spec, you can either change a data model instance with
> query that generates a pending update list, or do a transform or a
> query, but you can't do both.

When I implemented the XQuery update spec for X-Hive/DB I deliberately
chose not to follow that path, but rather to allow update expressions to
return values. I still can't see any need or technical merit in that
limitation, and it really hurts if you want to do something as simple as
returning how many items were changed. I think there should still be an
open bug in W3C's bugzilla about that issue.

Best regards,
Martin Probst