RE: XML query language for selecting and manipulating

The two options are XQuery and XSLT.

Neither has in-situ update at present; in both cases the way you modify
documents is to create a modified copy.

The ability to identify a collection of documents as input is more of a
product feature than a language feature. You will probably find that XQuery
products handle this better than XSLT products (though with Saxon, for
example, the way you define an input collection is exactly the same for both
languages). How large is the set of documents, and how large are the
documents?

Some queries can be expressed more easily in XQuery than in XSLT, especially
those involving relational-style joins, but there's nothing you can do in
XQuery that can't be done in XSLT. There are some things that XSLT can do
that can't be done in XQuery, but in most cases these are concerned with
output formatting. Copying a document with a few small changes is easier in
XSLT than in XQuery.

XSLT has a standard Java API (JAXP). There's work going on to define a
standard Java API for XQuery but at present each product has its own.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/