Re: usecases for copy-namespaces decalration available

From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:30:49 -0400
To: Andreas Lohmann <andreas.lohmann@ipsi.fraunhofer.de>
CC: www-ql@w3.org

Andreas Lohmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> are there any use cases available to test the implementation of the
> “copy-namespaces declaration”,
>
> or can anyone describe a short scenario where its usage really makes
> sense and visual results depend on declaration attributes?

Take a look at the results of Use Case "NS", query 2:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-use-cases/#ns-queries-results-q2

        <title xmlns="http://www.example.org/music/records"
               xmlns:anyzone="http://www.example.com/auctioneers#anyzone"
                   xmlns:eachbay="http://www.example.com/auctioneers#eachbay"
                   xmlns:ma="http://www.example.com/AuctionWatch"
               xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                   xmlns:yabadoo="http://www.example.com/auctioneers#yabadoo">In a Silent Way</title>

Does it bother you that a simple string-valued element carries so much
baggage? It's overhead for the systems involved, and it makes the
results harder to read if serialized according to our serialization
rules. Imagine that the same data gets queried repeatedly, stuck in SOAP
messages, and passed on. The namespace declarations from each SOAP
envelope keep accumulating over time.

Does this help?

Jonathan