Re: Variable references in path expressions

From: martin <martin@x-hive.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:36:22 +0200
To: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
CC: "'TAN Kuan Hui'" <kuanhui@xemantics.com>, "'Charles Brooking'" <charles.brooking@research.canon.com.au>, www-ql@w3.org

>>I suggest that the atomic values returning from the last
>>step must be a result of evaluating against the preceding
>>step. Wherein the above example, there should be an
>>attempt to convert each item into a QName
>

> I don't understand this notion of converting things into QNames.
>
> In a conventional path expression such as a/following-sibling::*, how would
> I convert following-sibling::* into a QName?

I might be mistaken, but I think he wants to do this:
 > let $b := (xs:QName("b"), xs:QName("c"))
 > return $a/$b
.. would lead to $a being filtered by $b's QNames on the child axis, so
the result would be <b/>,<c/> (e.g. what you would get by
$a/element($b)). I've noticed that some people tend to understand
Variable references in XQuery PathSteps this way.

Regards,
Martin