Re: new drafts published

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:42:28 -0400
To: "Tolkin, Steve" <Steve.Tolkin@FMR.COM>
Cc: www-ql@w3.org

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:29:06PM -0400, Tolkin, Steve wrote:
Oops, I didn't copy my reply to the list, sorry....

> I quote from the announcement below:
>
> * XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language:
>   A non-XML, Perl-like syntax for querying ...
>
> "Perl-like syntax"?

Uses $ signs to signify variables; uses {...} for scope; has
optional type checking system (although much weaker than XQuery's);
has lists (sequences) that can contain trees but not sequences;
there are actually quite a lot of similarities between XQuery and
Perl at the superficial level, although as a user of both languages
I know well that there are many differences.

XQuery's syntax is not a human-readable XML-based one such as that
of XSLT, though.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/