RE: how to write such xquery?

From: Xavier Franc <xfranc@online.fr>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:56:33 +0100
To: www-ql@w3.org

Michael Kay wrote:

>I tried, and found it surprisingly hard. Much easier in XSLT.

I agree: in principle, recursive functions + typeswitch can emulate
the template mechanism that exists in XSLT, but in practice it is not
as convenient, not modular and --unless the typeswitch is smartly
optimized-- probably not as efficient .

I believe it would be a great idea to introduce templates in XQuery, but
I don't even dream that the WG would envisage it before ...  let's say
XQuery 3, in 2034...?  ;-)