Re: IfExpr has a mandatory else clause

From: Torsten Grust <Torsten.Grust@uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:55:05 +0100
To: "TAN Kuan Hui" <kuanhui@xemantics.com>
Cc: "Bas de Bakker" <bas@x-hive.com>, <www-ql@w3.org>

G'day all,

  grammar issues aside for a minute, I perceive XQuery as a
_functional_ query language.  The IfExpr thus constitutes a
conditional expression rather than a control flow construct (like in
procedural programming languages).

As a conditional expression, IfExpr is required to evaluate to a
well-defined value, regardless of the outcome of the tested
condition.  This is why I find it quite natural that the `else' clause
is mandatory.  What would be the value of an IfExpr in case the
conditition evaluates to false?

Greetings,
   --Torsten

On January 26 (17:49 +0800), TAN Kuan Hui wrote with possible
deletions:

--
  | Dr. Torsten Grust                          Torsten.Grust@uni-konstanz.de |
  |                                   http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/~grust/ |