RE: Questions related to XPath 2.0

From: Murali Mani <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:55:33 -0800 (PST)
To: "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Cc: www-ql@w3.org

Michael:

Thanks for the response. I, for one person, would have preferred not
having joins in XPath, but have only ability to specify patterns and XPath
engines will be able to return the occurrences of the pattern.. But I see
that there was a requirement for XPath 2.0 to provide operators that are
common to XQuery and XSLT.. That seems to have worked out fine..

> > 2. I was looking at fn:id (string) and fn:idref (string). How
> > do I use it, say if I get a list of values of idref
> > attributes. An example that I may think of is a schema (rough
> > DTD) like:
> >
> > <!ATTLIST Professor (pname, office, pid)>
> > <!ATTLIST Student (sname, major, advisor)>
> >
> > advisor is an IDREF attribute, pid is ID attribute.

This is my desired output: I want to find the name of advisors of students
who are CS majors. I would like to not do joins, but try to use fn:id

best, murali.