SQL to XQuery translation

From: David Song <davidzsong@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:39:14 -0800 (PST)
To: www-ql@w3.org

I am in need of researching, designing, and
implementing techniques to translate from SQL to
XQuery.  Most (if not all) research has been focused
on XQuery->SQL, now I need the reverse!  I believe is
challenge is how to map SQL predicates into XPath
expressions.  SQL joins is another challenge.

The business usage case is that users need to be able
to construct AdHoc queries using SQL to query XML data
residing in native XML database.  I need help in
designing algorithms to map SQL to XQuery/XPath.  I
have not found any research in this area.

I very much appreciate if anyone can point me in the
right direction.  I have some preliminary design
thoughts if anyone is interested in a more detailed
discussion with me.  Thanks!

David Song
College of Engineering
San Jose State University