RE: Question regarding order in XPath

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:20:45 +0100
To: "'Murali Mani'" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Cc: <www-ql@w3.org>

> Is there a difference between XPath 1.0 and XPath 2.0? I
> guess XPath 1.0
> never talked about returning a sequence, it mentions return a set of
> nodes, though "it was often assumed" by xml-dev folks that it
> returns a
> sequence..??

XPath 1.0 returned a set of nodes in no particular order; but XSLT 1.0
always chose to process these nodes in document order. People calling XPath
from other environments, e.g. a Java API, have tended to assume the nodes
will be in document order, and in practice they probably are, but the XPath
1.0 spec doesn't guarantee it.

Michael Kay