RE: top-level location-path context dependencies

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:21:45 +0100
To: "'Jason Hunter'" <jhunter@acm.org>, "'Michael Rys'" <mrys@microsoft.com>
Cc: "'Howard Katz'" <howardk@fatdog.com>, <www-ql@w3.org>

> Yes, I understand you're talking about XSLT 2.0, but I don't see why
> XQuery 1.0 needs to be backwards compatible with XSLT 1.0 or why the
> limitations that may need to be placed on XSLT 2.0 need to apply to
> XQuery 1.0 across the board.

I think that if "." or "/" always returned a single item in XSLT and XPath,
but could return multiple items in XQuery, the user community would be
entitled to complain loudly. We have always had the view that where XQuery
uses XPath syntax, it gives it the same semantics. This is not an issue of
backwards compatibility, it's an issue of cross-language compatibility.

Michael Kay