Re: top-level location-path context dependencies

And that's the reason it was removed.  Not because it didn't provide
useful functionality.  Not because it wasn't needed.  But because it was
hard for an implementation like the one you're working on to do static
type analysis on what it would return.  Not that static analysis is a
requirement of XQuery.

If we removed every feature that made static analysis difficult, we'd be
left with a bare skeleton of a language.

-jh-