Re: XQuery implementations

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I am designing a system for accessing and modifying XML database content
with XForms. This would enable you to do define dynamic web applications
in a declarative way. I will most likely use XQuery for selecting the
instance data for XForms. There is an example configuration file at the
end of this e-mail.

As a test case or example, I am creating a web interface for editing the
  definition files of a web-based exam system that I built last year for
my university. It has an XML grammar for defining the exams, and I am
tired of teaching the specs of my undocumented XML grammar to the people
who create the exams ;)

Sorry about the errors in my example, I was trying out a similar query
with XHive's online demo (without attribute testing), and that was my
first two hours of learning XQuery, plus it was 4 am, and I just had my
third lobotomy this year ;)

juha

here's an example of how you would setup a web application using the
system (note that it's just a sketch right now):

<webapp xmlns="http://www.xsmiles.org/database/webapp-11-2003"
         xmlns:quiz="http://www.xsmiles.org/applications/webquiz">
   <info>
     <name>quiz</name>
     <database>
       <uri src="xmldb:exist://localhost:8080/exist/xmlrpc/db"/>
       <login name="admin" pass="admin"/>
       <collection name="quiz" path="/db/quiz"/>
     </database>
     <schema src="http://www.xsmiles.org/schemas/global.xsd"/>
   </info>

   <!-- Default is needed, because we might want to edit fragments of -->
   <!-- the complete collection, without transfering all the children -->
   <!-- to the client. For example, in this case, if a new chapter is -->
   <!-- added to the database, the question/* branch will be appended -->
   <!-- to the database as default data -->
   <defaultInstance
     xmlns="http://www.xsmiles.org/applications/webquiz">
     <data>
       <quiz>
         <config/>
         <intro/>
         <category>
           <question>
             <title/>
             <selectOne>
               <item/>
               <item/>
               <item/>
             </selectOne>
             <answer/>
           </question>
         </category>
       </quiz>
     </data>
   </defaultInstance>

<!-- each binding describes a mapping between a part of the xml tree -->
<!-- and a xforms editor -->
<binding name="quizes-edit" >
    <annotate>Edit all quizes</annotate>
    <instance target="data">
        <![CDATA[
          an XQuery statement to select the instance data from the DB
        ]]>
    </instance>
    <editor src="http://xsmiles.org/editors/quizes-editor.xhtml"/>
</binding>

<binding name="categories-edit">
    <annotate>Edit all categories in a quiz</annotate>
    <instance .../>
    <editor select="editors/catogories-editor"/>
</binding>
<webapp>