Re: creation order vs. document order

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders@ua.ac.be>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:43:10 +0200
To: <www-ql@w3.org>

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 21:18, Michael Brundage wrote:
> ?
>
> It is not possible for child nodes to be in anything other than document
> order.

Well, that is what I'm trying to find out. Can you tell me where in the formal
specification it says that? As Torsten and Bas already pointed out, Section
3.2 of the data model says:
>> The relative order of free-standing nodes (elements, attributes, and
>> other nodes created outside the context of a particular document) is
>> also implementation-dependent but stable.

Are you saying that if I create an element with a few children and assign it
to a variable then I have created those children "in the context of a
particular document"? Or is the bracketed part not the definition of
"free-standing" and does free-standing mean "without a parent"?

-- Jan Hidders