creation order vs. document order

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders@ua.ac.be>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:35:18 +0200
To: www-ql@w3.org

L.S.,

I have a question regarding the place in the document order of newly
created element nodes. Suppose I have a join-like query like the following:

   for $a in $list1
   for $b in $list2
   where $a/name = $b/name
   return <c> $a, $b </c>

Must the result of this always be a list that is sorted in document
order? Intuitively I would expect them to be sorted in the order in
which they were created, but as far as I can tell the formal semantics
leaves this unspecified.

--
    Jan Hidders

  | Post-doctoral researcher               e-mail: jan.hidders@ua.ac.be |
  | Dept. Math. & Computer Science         tel: (+32) 3 218 08 73       |
  | University of Antwerp                  fax: (+32) 3 218 07 77       |
  | Middelheimlaan 1, BE-2020 Antwerpen, BELGIUM     room: G 3.21       |