RE: XQuery Risk Assessment

You should watch the public-qt-comments alias; plenty of activity there.
Hundreds of last call comments on the Data Model and F&O alone.

There are some parts of the current working drafts that are very likely to
change:
- semantics of modules (new in the May 2 draft)
- serialization (new in the May 2 draft)
- semantics of construction (e.g., implicit validation is new in the May 2
draft)
- xdt:dayTimeDuration, xdt:yearMonthDuration, and all functions that work
with date/time types
- changes to some function definitions
- various type system-related issues (implicit conversions, validation,
untypedAtomic vs. anySimpleType vs. anyType, etc.)

Otherwise, the current drafts do seem pretty stable.  However, every
publicly available implementation I've tested differs from the current
drafts in major areas.

Having watched this area closely for the past two years, my opinion is that
implementations will continue to lag behind the drafts by at least six
months from now until XQuery is done, and also that a production-quality
implementation of XQuery (matching, say, the current best-of-class XSLT
implementations in robustness and performance) is at least 6-12 months away.
If your development schedule can accomodate that, then you should be fine.
If you need something sooner, then you should seriously consider existing
technologies.

Cheers,

Michael Brundage
xquery@comcast.net

Writing as
Author, "XQuery: The XML Query Language" (Addison-Wesley, to appear 2003)
Co-author, "Professional XML Databases" (Wrox Press, 2000)

not as
Technical Lead
Common Query Runtime/XML Query Processing
WebData XML Team
Microsoft