about the "missing" axes in XQuery

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders@ua.ac.be>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:55:24 +0200
To: www-ql@w3.org

This has probably been asked several times before, but I couldn't find it in
the archives, so here goes.

  Why are there axes missing in XQuery?

I would assume this was to keep the language simple, but it seems to me that
many optimization tricks that are known for these missing axes become more
difficult or even impossible if the user has to simulate them. So not having
these axes makes query optimization actually harder. So why are they not in
there?

Kind regards,

-- Jan Hidders

 | Post-doctoral researcher               e-mail: jan.hidders@ua.ac.be |
 | Dept. Math. & Computer Science         tel: (+32) 3 218 08 73       |
 | University of Antwerp                  fax: (+32) 3 218 07 77       |
 | Middelheimlaan 1, BE-2020 Antwerpen, BELGIUM     room: G 3.21       |