Re: xf Namespace

At 01:12 PM 6/5/2003 -0500, Mark R Maxey wrote:

>XQuery/XPath issue 228 & XSLT issue 155 state that built-in functions are
>in the F&O namespace with no controls on changing that namespace.  In the
>11/15/02 draft, I assumed that "xf" was used to refer to this namespace
>(though, it was not listed among the predefined namespaces in
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xquery-20021115/#id-namespace-decls>Namespace
>  Declarations).

Actually, the prefix is now "fn". The predefined  functions in XQuery are [1]:

       xml = http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace
       xs = http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
       xsi = http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
       fn = http://www.w3.org/2003/05/xpath-functions
       xdt = http://www.w3.org/2003/05/xpath-datatypes

Note that this same prefix is now used in the Functions and Operators [2].

>While I was looking at the 5/2/3
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xquery-use-cases-20030502/#d0e2160>XQuery
>Use Cases 1.9.4.3 Q3, I noticed that built-in string manipulation function
>"starts-with" was qualified with the "xf" namespace.  Is this a typo or is
>this still necessary?  Did one of the imports change the default namespace
>for built-in functions?  If "xf" is still a valid namespace, then
>shouldn't it be added to the list of predefined namespace in the
><http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-namespace-decls>5/2/3 Namespace Declarations?

My bad.

It is not necessary. If I had used "fn:starts-with" it would be redundant
but correct - as is, it is not even correct, since the xf: prefix is undefined.

Jonathan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-namespace-decls
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/