RE: XQuery Implementations

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have answered your questions
below.

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

It is very hard for Massimo and I to determine what is XQuery and what
is not.   We do not have the time to do this sort of research.  I think
we would prefer to leave this to each reader/user to judge.

> 2. It would be very useful if implementors gave information about
which
> Working Draft their product aims to implement. An alphabetical listing
> makes
> it difficult to know which implementations implement which Working
Draft.

Even if we asked implementers to provide this information it might soon
be out of date if they upgraded their implementation to a more recent
WD.  And again Massimo and I do not have the time to be continually
checking this sort of information.

As you may tell by now we are not committing to maintaining this list of
XQuery implementations forever into the future.  In fact it is the
experience of those of working in the W3C XML Activity that this sort of
information is better supplied by a community resource who have the time
to keep the information up to date.

For example, the home page for the XML Activity
http://www.w3.org/XML/#resources
simply uses a Google search for "XML parser" to list information on XML
implementations.

And the XSL WG home page:
http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/
simply references an Open Directory page on XSLT:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Data_Formats/Markup_Languages/XML/Style_Sheets
/XSL/Implementations/

> The News section is useful in this context but if new additions
> additionaly
> specified the targeted Working Draft and whether the implementation is
> complete/partial/whatever that would be an improvement for visitors to
the
> page.

See my response above re targeted Working Draft.  In addition the W3C
and the WG does not have the responsibility/right to decide how
"complete" an implementation is.  This is an area that is just "too
sensitve" to venture into.