RE: define views using xquery

As a starter from the scientific side you may check out
some recent papers by Serge Abiteboul and others (one of
Serge's favorite themes is views in all disguises).

I'd be also be interested in the actual difficulties that you
encountered when trying views with XQuery. In principle
one can regard a view as a "stored" query which can be
composed with other queries. As one of XQuery's virtues
is compositionality, another is closure, so I wonder where exactly
the difficulty lies.

(1) Is it the combination of XML-Schema and XQuery that
you (presumably) need.

(2) Is it updatability of views that concern you?

(3) Is it that your notion of "simple view" doesn't translate
to an XQuery notion of a "simple query"?

(4) Which sort of views do you want to define?

Have you got any concrete examples, usecases, requirements?
Where exactly do you encounter inefficiency?

Best regards,

Peter