RE: de-spammed index to www-xml-query-comments

spam in its lists and archives a priority,
and it is likely that a simple approach will be adequate.

Details:
I strongly support any effort to remove the spam
postings from the w3c mailing lists and archives.
Some are already protected, but those
for user comments have not been.
The presence of so much spam, over 80% of the messages,
significantly hurts the ability of people to
use them for their intended purpose.
(Rough analogy -- if enough street signs are covered
in graffitti that they are generally unreadable
then even the readable one will no longer be looked at.)

Thanks to Michael Dyck for providing an existence proof
that this can be done.  I think this is very worthwhile,
even though the links to next and previous messages
become gandling pointers.

There are various ways that this could be fixed.  But perhaps
the simplest is to adopt a system that prevents spam
from arriving in the first place.  Basically the approach
is to have an approver role that first gets all postings.
To prevent any person from getting overloaded it is possible to have
a group of approvers and some load balancing mechanism,
with people able to remove themselves from the list when they go on
vacation etc.
I think the simplest policy, if any one approver oks the
message it is allowed would be acceptable.

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin          steve.tolkin@fmr.com      617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. V10D    Boston MA 02109

http://members.home.net/michaeldyck/xml/xquery/www-xml-query-comments/