Re: Concern: XQuery <> valid XML

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:22:15 -0500
To: "Ingo Macherius" <macherius@darmstadt.gmd.de>
cc: www-ql@w3.org

Ingo Macherius <macherius@darmstadt.gmd.de> wrote:

> If XQuery was XML itself, more structured construction becomes feasible,
> e.g. by using the DOM API or XSLT.

When it comes to query construction, XML-ized syntax is a hindrance.  I can
see some benefit in having it XML-ized if I want to catch a query that
somebody else wrote (or to use a query template) and change it on the
fly. Then, perhaps, DOM, XSLT, or XQuery itself (!) might be useful.

However, one shouldn't confuse the rather trivial issue of producing an
alternative XML-style syntax and the more basic problem of fitting the
different components of the language into a coherent framework.

My impression is that the current document deals with the second problem.

	--michael