Re: First public Working Draft of W3C XML Query Language

From: Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:12:04 -0500
To: Jim Davis <jrd3@alum.mit.edu>, www-ql@w3.org
At 11:36 AM 2/19/2001 -0800, Jim Davis wrote:

>I have not yet had time to read the new QL document, but it seems to me
>that this functionality might be better addressed by the DASL protocol,
>which is an IETF effort to define a query transport layer that can support
>any type of query.  The DASL protocol deliberately did not propose a
>solution for XML queries, on the hope and assumption that XML QL, when
>defined, would be compatible.  But DASL does define means for specifying
>the scope of document collections over which the query is to apply.
>Perhaps it's time to see how well XML QL fits with DASL?
>You can read about DASL at http://www.webdav.org/dasl/

Hi Jim,

It's been a while - I remember corresponding with you back in the XQL days.
I *think* that XQuery should handle this requirement for you. You can write
a query, then apply it to a collection of documents, and the collection
does not need to be stated anywhere in the query. So if the protocol sets
up an environment in which a query should be executed, it should work.

I may be missing out on some of the details, though.

Read the spec carefully, and let us know any problems you find.