RE: Where does RDF fit in with XQuery?

At 07:54 PM 6/22/2001 +0200, Ingo Macherius wrote:

> > And in fact, that's almost what I'm doing with XQuery - I am currently
> > using an XQuery library that translates to a syntactic representation of
> > the triples in XML, then I query the triples.
>
>What exactly is the benefit of XML syntax if you convert your data into
>3-tuples, aka triples ?
>Is maybe XQuery's expressiveness, even over this most simple schema, worth
>the effort? What would be the drawbacks of the (rather simple) relational
>representation ?

The main advantage is that XQuery can also query anything else represented
in XML. Since RDF is only part of the web, and XML is another really big
part of the web, it is useful to be able to do queries against both RDF and
XML using the same tools, and to be able to correlate information across
the two. This is especially true since RDF often describes XML sources.

Also note that it is no harder to convert data into triples that do have a
syntactic representation than it is to convert data into triples that do not.

Jonathan