Re: Where does RDF fit in with XQuery?

At 02:20 AM 6/22/2001 +0100, Libby Miller wrote:
>Basically, because there are many different ways of serializing any
>given RDF description of, say, a document in XML (see examples in the
>RDF model and syntax - http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/), XQuery
>isn't the easiest way to query RDF. A more straightforward way is to
>query the underlying model, which is based on triples, regardless of the
>exact syntax. This is what I've done with my prototype RDF query
>language Squish, and what the RQL people have done in a rather more
>finished way.

And in fact, that's almost what I'm doing with XQuery - I am currently
using an XQuery library that translates to a syntactic representation of
the triples in XML, then I query the triples. The resulting queries are
probably no more or less complex than the Squish or RQL equivalents.

Another way would be to use one of the XSLT stylesheets that people have
done to produce a normalized syntax. I was not aware of these until
recently. Here is one by Jonathan Borden:

http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/rdf_Syntax_and_Names.htm

With either approach, once you have a syntax that directly represents the
triples, querying with XQuery is straightforward.

Jonathan