RE: What's implementable in XPath expressions?

From: Howard Katz <howardk@fatdog.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:54:48 -0700
To: "Michael Dyck" <MichaelDyck@home.com>
Cc: <www-ql@w3.org>
Michael Dyck wrote:

> > > <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#node-sets>, the corresponding point
> > > in the XPath spec, says
> > >
> > >     The / and // operators compose an expression and a relative
> > >     location path. It is an error if the expression does not
> > >     evaluate to a node-set.
> >
> > That's the bigger question then, isn't it: Does [ElementConstructor]
> > evaluate to a node-set, or is it simply there to decorate
> serialized XML?
>
> Section E.2.2.2 maps an XQuery element constructor to an Algebra element
> value, so yes, it evaluates to a node-set.
>
> > If it produces node-sets, how do I compose against it?
>
> Not sure what you mean.

Never mind, I see it. I've just been having some conceptual difficulty
grokking the marriage of an angle-bracket representation of XML with XPath
relative location syntax. Unaccustomed to the mixed notation, I've been
finding the idea of "/<aRoot></aRoot>/someRelPath" difficult to grasp. Once
I translate that into "/aRoot/someRelPath," I'm fine. Just give me some time
to get used to it. :-)

Howard