Re: QA Tip: Don't Click Here

Hi Hal.

On May 11, 2007, at 06:08 , Hal Goodtree wrote:

> The previously referenced example:
> http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere
>
> is in need of update I believe. Based on the responses to my blog
> post, verbs are no longer verboten as linking text.

Thanks for looking into this tip. There are good ideas in what you
wrote, and what people added as comments. I would probably not be so
peremptory in saying that a few opinions make something "no longer
verboten", but I do agree that the original sentence:
[[ we do not recommend putting verb phrases in link text ]]
is too strong. The point of the tip is to recommend meaningful links,
and I guess verbs can be OK, especially if the link points to some
kind of action. e.g I wouldn't consider _Read More_ a particularly
good link, whereas _contact bob_ (with a mailto link for instance) or
_download the latest version_ looks just fine to me.

A rewrite of the tip to focus more on this, and removing the arguable
rule about verbs would be good. If you want to suggest rewordings,
please feel free.

> The WCAG is a wonderful resource, but it is too technically
> oriented for the average copywriter.

I don't see anything particularly wrong or outdated in the Link text
section in http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#link-text (which
the tip refers to as further reading). It recommends clearly
identifying the target and avoiding vague text links such as "click
here", which is fine, no?

--
olivier