Re: [FeedValidator] RSS 1.0: problems with feed, validator, CPAN module or specification?

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Maybe faith is better left for ideas, religions and such immaterial
> things. Validators are useful tools, but still tools, worldly and
> imperfect. A bug in a dark corner of their code does not change the
> fact that validators are massively useful for people to adopt
> technologies - especially when said bug gets squashed within 24 hours
> of being reported.

Here's a "me-too".

Validators are pieces of software.  Software has bugs.  From time to
time, problems are reported to this mailing list.  Some turn out to
be errors on the part of the user and some are problems with the
feedvalidator and get fixed.  As I say it's software and so I expect
that sometimes it will not work.

> ... A bug in a dark corner of their code does not change the
> fact that validators are massively useful for people to adopt
> technologies ...

Here at the University of Oxford, we have an institutional newsfeeds
system that is able to produce output in RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and Atom
1.0. I use feedvalidator.org for testing that what it produces is valid.
It has been extremely helpful.  It wouldn't be producing good output
today
if it weren't for a validator.

<off-topic>
> Seeing as everyone is commenting on weblogs...
> http://www.w3.org/QA/2007/02/bugs_and_qa.html

No, I don't have one of those.  Anyway, it doesn't seem to be
working. Three people have put comments on this topic on to their
separate blogs.
And there is no linking between them (as far as I can see) except for
this mailing list.
</off-topic>

These are my own views and not necessarily those of my employer.

--
Barry Cornelius              Computing Services, University of Oxford
                                  13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN,