Re: draft How To Guide for Test Assertions

Hi Christophe,

Le 06-03-02 à 19:15, Christophe Strobbe a écrit :
> I am currently involved in a project (www.bentoweb.org) that is
> working on an XHTML + CSS test suite for Web Content Accessibility
> Guidelines 2.0. The "test suite" is not really a suite of tests in
> the usual sense, but a set of test files + metadata that is meant
> to be used to "benchmark" evaluation and repair tools ("ERT":
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/existingtools).

Hmmm, I hope you are reusing parts of HTML 4.01 and CSS Test suite.
	http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Test/
	http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/

> How to write the description, purpose and other sections of the
> test metadata (we use most of the test metadata described at http://
> www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-test-metadata-20050914/, and much more) was
> recently the subject of serious debate, which led us to rewrite the
> description and purpose of all our tests.

Do you have a pointer to this discussion?

> In our test metadata, the "test assertion" is actually part of the
> purpose, and the position where a failure occurs (line & column
> number, XPath) is mentioned elsewhere.

I think that Patrick might have a different opinion about that as
well. So It seems that the document would be more than welcome.

In the W3C Glossary, there are so far two definitions.
http://www.w3.org/2003/glossary/keyword/All/?keywords=test%20assertion

* Spec GL
A measurable or testable statement of behavior, action, or condition.
It is derived from the specification's requirements.

* QA Glossary
A set of premises that are known to be true by definition in the spec.

I guess the QA Glossary should be updated. :) Patrick?

> I'm very interested in this 'How To Guide for Test Assertions';
> maybe I will also be able to contribute to it.

That's great. Welcome. :)

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***