Re: Testability and normative requirements

Le 05-12-21 à 22:19, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Karl Dubost wrote:
>>
>> Could you give a practical example of what you would consider as a
>> non-testable normative requirement?

I meant in the specification they are writing now, because the
requirements in writing specifications have evolved.

> # [...] user agents must make a best attempt to render all characters,
> # regardless of the value specified by lang.
>  -- HTML4 section 8.1.
>
> # Those browsers that interpret soft hyphens must observe the
> following
> # semantics: If a line is broken at a soft hyphen, a hyphen character
> # must be displayed at the end of the first line. If a line is not
> # broken at a soft hyphen, the user agent must not display a hyphen
> # character.
>  -- HTML4 section 9.3.3.
>
> # User agents must know where to render the header and footer.
>  -- HTML4 section 11.2.1.
>
> Oh wait, you only asked for one. Oops.

Ian,

do you mean you don't mind these and they are commons in old
specifications?
Or do you mean that it's the type of things to avoid in new
specifications?

For example, In Charmod, we have requested to modify this kind of
sentences and they have been removed.

MUST NOT *assume* is not testable.

[[[
--------
3.1.2 Units of aural rendering [S] [I] Specifications and software
MUST NOT assume that there is a one-to-one correspondence between
characters and the sounds of a language.
--------
]]]

-- QA Review for Charmod from Karl Dubost on 2002-06-19 (www-i18n-
comments@w3.org from June 2002)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-i18n-comments/2002Jun/0022.html
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:37:48 GMT

*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***