Re: Question about the Using Standard Redirects Page

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:48:12 +0100
To: Wyrick Travis <Travis.Wyrick@bataviatrans.com>
Cc: www-qa@w3.org

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:47:13AM +0000, Wyrick Travis wrote:
> Hello,
> ??? I am curious how you got the menu on the right side to stay in the
> middle of the screen on www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback

position: fixed;
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#positioning-scheme

> When you scroll in Firefox it stays in the same place, when you scroll
> in IE it moves with the page.

Presumably there is some form of browser sniffing or hackery going to
to give IE position: absolute instead. It is broken and fails to
ignore (as the spec says it should) values that it doesn't understand,
treating "fixed" as "static".