Re: [Tidy-dev] DTD after cleanup without URL ? is it a bug ?

* Marc Gueury wrote:
>I got  a question from a tidy user saying this.
>
>After cleaning up a page, tidy add a DOCTYPE at the top that is not listed
>here : http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html
>
>For example :
> From tidy output:
>
><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>

> From the doc above:
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
>I must say that I have no idea at all if it is the URL to the dtd is
>mandatory at all. I looked in the HTML spec but did not found anything about it.
>I tried also to find this in a SGML documentation but could not find it.
>
>Should I log a bug about it ?

The system identifier is considered optional. Tidy has some logic to
determine whether it should specify one but I do not have the details
handy. http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html should probably
be clarified that the list is "incomplete" and informative.