Re: XHTML 1.0 Content-Negotiation

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:51:46 +0100
To: "Brian Kelly" <B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>, "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, <www-qa@w3.org>

"Brian Kelly" <B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
> Not quite end of story.  The WAI WCAG 1.0 guidelines state:
>
> 11.1 Use W3C technologies when they are available and appropriate for a
> task and
> use the latest versions when supported. [Priority 2] 11.1 Use W3C
> technologies
> when they are available and appropriate for a task and use the latest
> versions
> when supported. [Priority 2]
>
> So if you wnat AA compliance it wpould appear that you will need to use
> the
> latest version of W3C's document format i.e.e XHTML 1.1

XHTML 1.1 clearly fails the "Where supported" test, Internet Explorer does
not support it, so it's easy to avoid that restraint.  HTML and XHTML are
both W3C technologies and HTML 4.01 is the latest version of HTML, there's
no problem with it being used in that guideline.

Or would you suggest that because SVG 1.1 is newer than XHTML 1.1 we should
use SVG?

Jim.