Re: XHTML 1.0 Content-Negotiation

Henri and others,

Le 2005-08-20 à 02:37, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> That document asks the question "Which MIME type should XHTML be
> served with?" taking it for granted that XHTML is used without
> discussing whether it makes sense to use XHTML.

Did you have things breaking using XHTML 1.0 more than HTML 4.01 ? I
never had. Plus the fact that nobody tells you that you are forced to
use one format or the other. People make a choice, see the end of
this mail.

This discussion which has done again and again and again and again
gives exactly the same arguments. I always say to the people in the
end. "Use HTML 4.01 if you think you have more benefits doing so."
Nothing Wrong. End of the story.

Le 2005-08-20 à 02:37, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> The WaSP's "Ask the W3C" is more political than practical. It
> presumes that whatever the W3C has done recently needs to be
> advocated and is good for adoption right now and then tries to
> answer the questions in such a way that this political agenda is
> served.

Again, once more time, I will just state the obvious. The mission of
W3C is to be vendor neutral. Then when you are a group of persons
working together, you do the maximum to maintain this atmosphere of
work. It also exists in any games, you play.

Le 2005-08-20 à 02:37, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
> Let's consider the answer to "HTML versus XHTML" question (http://
> webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/oct2003.html).

A document is not perfect and you are forgetting one thing of the
conclusion.

[[[
Yes, HTML 4.01 is as valuable as XHTML 1.0 in a daily usage. The
syntax proposed by XHTML 1.0 has several important benefits. The
weight of these benefits has to be evaluated in the context of your
project: Use the right tool for the right job.
]]] - http://webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/oct2003.html

Basically choose either HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0. It's not religion,
it's choice.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***