Content type in documents with no XML declaration

From: Pid <webmaster@neutralgrey.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:55:11 +0100
To: www-qa@w3.org

Frequently, I don't put the XML declaration at the beginning of XHTML
According to appendix C1 of the XHTML 1.0 Strict spec, I may only use
the two UTF character sets, 8 & 16, if I omit the XML declaration.

Does this mean that a document that declares a different content type,
using a meta tag (as below) is not valid?

ng m: (+44|0)7976 411939
ng w: www.neutralgrey.net