Re: Extension/Extensibility examples in W3C Specifications

* Karl Dubost wrote:
>For me the difference between an extension and not an extension is that
>if it's defined, in the W3C context,  by W3C (consensus) or if it's not
>defined by W3C (proprietary technology). It seems we all have a
>different understanding of it.
>
>There's really a need to define it.

Hmm. I am not sure whether this would be useful. What is an extension
depends on context. Specifications are to say what is an extension and
what is not. If they do not, an extension in their context is something
(a language element) that is not defined in the relevant specifications.
If you want a general definition, you would need to look at what is
considered an extension by existing technologies and look at common
properties. I'd say an extension is something for which the relevant
specifications do not define processing consistent with the meaning of
this very something.