RE: Don't use "refresh" to redirect

From: Brian Kelly <B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:17:21 -0000
To: 'Jens Meiert' <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, 'James Crompton' <jc@jcrompton.de>
Cc: www-qa@w3.org

> > Is there any alternative to using 'refresh' for those of us
> who have
> > our sites hosted on somone else's server?
> If you mean you don't want to use a meta or JavaScript
> refresh, it depends on your provider -- most elegant is IMO a
> redirect via .htaccess, but you're maybe allowed to use e.g.
> a PHP redirect...

Is a server-side redirect totally wihout problems?

It strikes me that there are issues about the differences between a HTTP
view of a Web site and a file view.  This can be an issue for indexing,
mirroring, etc.  Also some auditing tools process redirects differently (I
appreciate this may be becuase they tools are non fully HTTP 1.1 compliant).
And are redicrcted pages cachable?

So rather than simply saying don't use client-side redirects, use serve-side
one's there may be a need to add some caveats about potential side-effects.

Brian Kelly
UK Web Focus
University of Bath
Email: B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk