Re: W3C QA Tips: PNG versus GIF www-qa@w3.org

Hi

As discussed with Karl (below), I felt the "PNG vs GIF" tip on the W3C
site was missing a mention of animation.

After scratching my head about how to work that into the existing text
structure, I eventually decided that a separate subsection might work
best:

   Animation

   If you require simple animated images, then GIF is currently the
   best choice.  MNG is the multi-image variant of PNG which provides
   the same functionality as animated GIFs.  Unfortunately none of the
   mainstream browsers currently support the MNG format.

History has now overtaken the paragraph on the LZW patent.  Perhaps it
could be replaced with something like this:

   One of the issues surrounding the GIF format is that the LZW
   algorithm was protected by patents held by the company Unisys.
   This page (http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw) on the
   Unisys web site confirms that their LZW patent expired in the
   USA on June 20, 2003 and their patents in Canada, France, Italy,
   Germany, the United Kingdom, and Japan, expired in July 2004.

Finally, I notice that there is a 'mailto' link for www-qa@w3.org on
this page ...

   http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/

... which uses a broken HREF of: maitl:www-qa@w3.org