Re: [Glossary] Deprecated, Deprecation, Deprecate / Obsolete

Hi Al,

Le 13 juil. 2004, à 13:31, Al Gilman a écrit :
> Was there any discussion as to why the processing policy during
> phase-out, to wit:
>
> - emitters, being strict, should not emit
> - acceptors, being loose, should accept
>
> wound up not included in this definition?

Because it's not as simple. You have to think in terms of any kind of
technologies first, so it means
	XHTML, CSS, but also XSLT, XKMS, SOAP, XHTML Modularization etc...
many different beasts.

-> A product is not only a software. A product can be for example, in
the case of XHTML Modularization, a DTD. XHTML Mod is a technology
which is used to create other languages. These other languages are
emitters or acceptors?

You can have authoring tools, libraries, I guess that you classify as
emitters.
And user agents that you classify as acceptors.

But again it's not as simple, even in the case of an authoring tool.

Example A deprecated feature in a HTML 4.01 Transitional Document. I
open it with my authoring tool (which means I accept it) so it's ok, I
have the right to be loose. I change a typo in my text. I save the
document... The authoring tool is an emitter... ooops, what is the
scenario.

	- I scrap the deprecated feature?
	- I warn the users?
	- I change the doctype?
	- I do nothing?

As you see the behaviour of different of classes of products is not
related to the obsolescence and deprecation but to the Conformance and
the way you define the behaviour with regard to each other technology.

And it's in SpecGL Lite !!! ;)

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2004Jun/0086

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***