Re: complexity (was: Re: XHTML and RDF)

Le 13 avr. 2004, à 17:22, Orion Adrian a écrit :
> Some things just aren't best served by a committee. Specs I believe
> are one of them.

So as someone said to you before in the thread, you are not talking
about a standard creation but about a product creation with a good
specification document. The mission of W3C is to bring together all
players in an area to make them work together to create a stable
version of a technology. It's all about sharing the work. Producing
something in your corner has nothing to do with standards... and it's
already done by multiple vendors :)

So you have to keep in mind that.

>> What is a specification?
>
> A specification is a document that describes a process or technology
> that is sufficiently precise enough that people can use the document
> to implement the process or technology in such a way that the desired
> output always flows from a given set of inputs.

Almost agreed. You are forgetting a part, the most important. It has to
be interoperable. In the sense of two different persons who don't know
each other will be able to create a product that will be able to use
the same technology in an interoperable way.

	And it's what standards are about. When I turn a light bulb in its
socket, the brand for the light bulb and the one for the socket might
be different, but the specs which describe the thread requirements.

> The trick is to have a single author's vision with people commenting
> on it and the primary author actively seeking suggestions on how to
> improve the specification. But always one author or a pair of well
> coordinated authors.

Yes but this doesn't work either. Vision is fine for one product of one
person or one company. Not for something done in a competitive market
where you have to invite people to discuss and agree on the technology.
Which visions do you take, the one of Microsoft, Sun, Apple, IBM, or
Adrian Inc.

If you talk about Editors, it's mostly the case, often the documents
have one or two editors.

>> How do you preserve minimum interoperability?
>
> A person is capable of making an internally consistent concept with
> enough work, but given too many authors you generally end up with
> something that isn't consistent, but rather a hodgepodge of ideas.

As I said at the start, you are not talking about a consortium,
standard organization, or any kind of collective organization btw.

>> How do you try to reach maximum interoperability?
>
> Many simple ideas are very extensible without additional constructs.

As long, you define the extension mechanism, if you don't,  you can run
into big interop problems.

>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/MeaningVsBehavior
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/FormalLanguageVsProse
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/ImplementationReport