RE: QA Tips: Make readable URIs

> * Dominique Hazal-Massieux wrote:
> >Sorry for the bad turn-around... I have posted your document
> as draft
> >tip on the tips list: http://www.w3.org/2001/06tips/readable-uri.html
> >http://www.w3.org/2001/06tips/
>
> Publishing the tip at
> http://www.w3.org/2001/06tips/readable-uri.html is
> ridiculous. I suggest to read
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990321.html
> A good URI for the document would be e.g.
>
>   http://www.w3.org/QA/tips/readable-uris
>
> The current URI even violates
> <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI>...
>
> >- one of the principle behind the design of the URIs is that
> they are
> >opaque, which means that nothing/nobody should infer
> anything from the
> >characters used in the URI; this should be reminded at the
> very top of
> >the tip, and maybe the title of the tip should be changed to
> make that
> >clearer.
>
> I disagree. URIs are an important part of the web site user
> interface, they are commonly recognized and used by users of
> the web site and these users expect URIs to be designed and
> to behave in certain ways.

I also disagre with the statement "URIs .. are opaque, which means that
nothing/nobody should infer
 anything ..."  I think this is too strong.

I would say that ideally URIs should not be based on the technology used
to serve the resources (i.e. no .asp, ,jsp, .php etc. as file
extensions) and ideally should be independent of the file format (e.g.
use foo rather than foo.html and bar ratehr than bar.gif or bar.png).
However on *can* infer something from other parts, such as /QA/tips/).

See <http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue31/web-focus/>.

Brian