Re: [qaframe-spec] What is testable?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:34:38 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: www-qa@w3.org

* Karl Dubost wrote:
>Le mercredi, 3 sep 2003,  13:39 America/Montreal, Bjoern Hoehrmann a
>crit :
>> For
>> example, if a specification reads, "The <address> element MUST contain
>> contact information" I would not consider the statement testable.
>
>Why? Because it's only humanly checkable?

No, because verification would likely depend on things not defined in
the specification or its normative references; say, a definition of the
requirements for a data object to be considered "contact information"
or processing the natural language of the element content to a data
object that could be validated against the definition of "contact
information". How would you "test" for example

  <address xml:lang='x-bjoernhoehrmannish'>##39()64..werhq%__</address>

whether it meets my hypothetical requirements?