Re: The bad side of test cases

From: Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:43:13 -0400
To: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Cc: www-qa@w3.org

>The last phrase surprises me. Incompliant implementations may be
>interoperable. Most test suites are designed to test whether an
>implementation is compliant with some spec, not interoperable with
>another implementation.

Yes.  Non-compliant implementations may be interoperable.  However, without
determining compliance first, the implementations may be interoperating
with incorrect results.  Thus, we advocate that compliance be determined
before interoperability.

Mark

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174