Re: 2 new W3C Notes: CHIPs and CUAP

Alex,

Thanks a lot for these comments.

On Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003, at 06:25 Asia/Tokyo, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> [about ETag]
> The opening statement is technically correct, but the example
> violates HTTP rules. Equal ETags do not imply equivalent
> resources!  ETags have resource-based scope; comparing ETags for
> different URLs (different resources) is not defined by HTTP.

Ack'd. I'll investigate.

> 	> Guideline 1: Choose URIs wisely
> Please note that CHIPs URI itself violates at least checkpoint
> 1.2.II as it contains mixed case.

You're right, but we have little control over where the NOTE goes.
In this case I believe "do what we say, not what we do" was our only
option...

> Also, checkpoint 1.2.II
> contradicts checkpoint 1.2.III since "first letter uppercase" is
> also "mixed case".

Good point, ack'd. Do you have a suggestion to reword this?

> Finally, W3C server probably violates checkpoint 4.1 since it uses a
> "301 Moved Permanently" response when redirecting
> http://www.w3.org/TR/chips to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-chips-20030128/.

I just checked this  with Henri, our webmaster. The 301 is from
http://www.w3.org/TR/chips to http://www.w3.org/TR/chips/, which is
correct.
I agree, though, that our server could follow 5.2.II and serve this
with the Content-Location: of the dated version... We've added this to
our webmaster "todo" list.

Thanks again. Please keep the comments coming, that will help us brew a
better next version... :)
--
Olivier