CUAP 3.1

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:21:32 -0000
To: <www-qa@w3.org>

"Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>

> CUAP http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-cuap-20030128

In 3.1 it says:

| If saved locally, the filename on most computers should be
| html40.ps.gz for the applications to recognize the file type.

What is the motivation for this, IMO, the UA should save it as a non
gzip-encoded .ps document, content-encoding should remain at the HTTP level,
so the user can use the same application that they use to view the HTTP
loaded document as the file loaded document.

A user is likely to be confused if they open a URI (say
http://www.example.org/stuff.html ) with content-type: text/html and
content-encoding: gzip, in their HTML UA, they then save it locally and they
can no-longer use their HTML UA to open it.

[ The note is otherwise very good, and I congratulate and thank the
authors ]

Jim.