Re: Testable assertions thread

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:

> Should we control the specification markup alone? (D. Marston, D.
> Dimitriadis) Or have a fair markup and a fair adressing scheme? (A.
> Rousskov, S. Boag)? Perfect markup would solve our problems, but may
> be difficult to bring about (however, conclusions from the
> specification authoring survey render a uniform markup idea fairly
> plausible)

You might be mixing several distinct points/opinions here:

	- nobody is against better markup, of course;
	  if somebody can improve xmlspec, they should do it!
	  there is an obvious tradeoff between markup
	  permissiveness (making it easy for editors to add new
	  markup "features") and uniformity (making it easy for 3rd
	  party tools to work with specs)

	- uniform markup is, of course, _possible_ to enforce for
	  new W3C specs; no reason to survey current specifications
	  to assert that

	- no markup is perfect -- no markup is sufficient to
	  express everything a test tool or a 3rd party document
	  would want to extract or cite;
	  this assertion is true because the things we test/cite are
	  not limited to what spec authors marked as things that
	  can be tested/cited; thus, we MUST NOT rely on
	  [future] xmlspec alone and MAY propose a domain-specific
	  addressing scheme

This leads to two distinct primary (but optional) activities:

	- improving xmlspec (including rewriting it if needed)
	- proposing an addressing scheme (including adopting
	  existing ones such as XPointer, if possible)

W3C survey and discussions can help to decide whether any of the above
activities worth spending W3C resources on.

Alex.

--
www.measurement-factory.com | HTTP compliance+ - Co-Advisor test suite